Wednesday, May 18, 2011

An Open Letter...

I don't push my child to excel, he does that on his own. He sets goals and overshoots them. I don't sit in his classes, do his group work and take his tests, nor do I do his homework or projects. His grades and achievements are his and his alone. As hard as he works, he plays even harder. He is a clown. His room is sometimes messy. He has to be reminded to make his bed and clean his bathroom. He plays his music so loud, I can't hear myself think. And when he wants to sleep in, a jackhammer by his ear wouldn't wake him. Best of all, he is a sweet and caring person who just happens to be goal-oriented.

Why can't you be happy for him? Why do you feel the need to make fun of me, and more importantly, of him?

If it was your child, I would be the first in line to congratulate him and say job well done.

What if the tables were turned? Would you be hurt if I made fun of your child's accomplishments? Would you be angry if you found out people speculated about whether or not you are the one doing your child's work for him?

Can we all please cut the negativity and the bitterness and instead concentrate on the positive? Please don't compare our children. My son is good at a lot of things, but he also knows there are many more who are better than he is.

As parents, we should not be comparing our children to others. We are all different and special in our own ways. We need to emphasize our children's positive points and remind them everyday that they are special.

No comments:

Post a Comment